During pregnancy your body goes through a huge hormonal upheaval. This affects body in various ways, mostly good but some bad as well. One such issue, especially skin issue during pregnancy is Acne. If you are going through the same symptoms then read on for useful tips on getting rid of this pregnancy acne naturally.
How do we get acne during pregnancy
Before we get onto the tips for treating the pregnancy acne lets first find out the cause behind it.
Pregnancy is the time of great physical and emotional changes. One being, increase in pigmentation and secretion of oil through oil glands. Hence, the skin becomes too oily during pregnancy which can cause breakouts.
During pregnancy, the body gets overloaded with hormones. As the level of androgens goes higher, more breakouts occur. Androgens are the hormones which are responsible for the production of the oily substances called sebum. Increased volume of sebum thereby blocks the pores and creates an environment where bacteria could stick to the skin and gets multiplied. This eventually leads to acne and inflammations in the skin.
Yet, there is an increase in blood circulation also during pregnancy, which brings a shiny glow to the face. Moreover, these pimples also settle down once the hormones get stabilized. Meanwhile, to control the irritations and itching caused by acne, you can try some home remedies.
Tips to treat acne during pregnancy
You may find relief from these over-the-counter acne problems if you treat them well in time properly.
- Use cleansers to clean your face two times per day in a daily routine. This clears up all the oil from your face and makes it shiny.
- Manage your diet properly. Include the foods that contain antioxidants as it will help to fight off free radicals from your skin which causes acne.
- Keep the skin hydrated and moisturized by using moisturizers in form of lotions/creams.
- Drink lots of water
- Use can make your own face masks at home using some natural ingredients like oats, strawberry, curd etc.
- Change your pillow covers frequently.
For a safe pregnancy, you need to take some necessary cautions, so that you don’t have to regret later.
- Avoid prescription acne medications during pregnancy as this may harm your baby.
- Opt for drug-free treatments because these drugs may harm the fetus.
- No doubt, you should use cleansers but need to avoid over cleansing. Make a point, not to use chemical cleansers.
- Do not pop your pimples; this may leave the scars behind.
Acne during pregnancy is completely natural. Some may get them, some may not. It may be mild or may be vague. This all depends on hormone changes and these changes vary too. Acne during pregnancy is not a serious issue. Just stay calm, it gets back to normal after delivery. It’s particularly important to avoid drugs to cure acne. Keep in mind that your pregnancy isn’t all bad for your skin!